Psilocybe Azurescens Magic Mushroom Kit
The Psilocybe Azurescens Magic Mushroom Kit consists of a spawn bag in which you can cultivate your own Azurescens mushrooms. It’s simple to use and may inoculate up to 5 – 10 liters of woodchips to create a mushroom patch in your garden. When compared to Psilocybe cubens, Psilocybe Azurescens is 5-6 times stronger.
The months of February and March are ideal for establishing an Azurescens mushroom crop outside. This allows the mycelium to colonize the wood and produce Azurescens mushrooms in the autumn. Success, on the other hand, cannot be guaranteed. There are too many variables that could influence the outcome of the grow. There will be no refunds or replacements for the Psilocybe Azurescens spawn.
Contents of the Psilocybe Azurescens mushroom kit
- 280 ml of spawn form the psilocybe Azurescens Mushroom
Grow Information Azurescens Outdoor Growkit
- Destination: Outdoor
- Substrate: Wood chips
- Strength: Very strong
- Cultivation level: average – hard
- Colonization temperature: 16-24ºC
- Fructification temperature: around 7ºC
- Harvest period: October-January
The Azurescens grows in colder and wetter climates. The mushrooms usually appear around autumn and winter. You will need a spot in the garden that can be undisturbed for a long time. Because setting up the Azurescens takes long time. from spawn to harvest can take months.
This kit is used for outdoor cultivation and could become contaminated with other mushrooms. Make sure to harvest only the Psilocybe Azurescens mushroom from the patch and remove all others.
When to start growing Azurescens?
The Azurescens kit can be started at any time of year, between March and October. To make things easier, here is a timeline showing when you should start getting ready for the same year.
Mycelium from Azurescens will need time to colonize and prepare to fruit the mushrooms. This procedure takes several months. If you start early in the year, your first flush of mushrooms could be around October. If you begin in September, the first mushroom will appear the next year. Timetable for cultivating Azurescens mushrooms outside:
- January, February: Make or buy spawn
- February, March: Transfer of the colonized spawn to sterilized wood chips.
- March, April, May : Transfer the colonized wood chips to outdoor wood chips beds.
- September, October, November, December : Fruiting of the mushrooms, and harvest
How to grow Azurescens Mushrooms outdoors?
Stuff you need:
- Garden or balcony
- 5 – 10 liter of woodchips, 6 mm. If it;s too thick it takes long tot colonize
- Cardboardbox, Dimension: 30 x 30 x 15 cm.
- Plastic bag
- Container 1-2 liter, form mixing the spawn and woodchips
- Patience: yes, again… you will have to wait.
Azurescens grow kit instructions
Growing Azurescens mushrooms looks difficult but if you follow the next steps carefully you are on step closer to grow them in your garden or balcony.
Step 1: Prepare the substrate
- Take a big container and add the wood chip
- Boil enough water to soak the wood chips
- Submerge the woodchips with clean tap water
- Leave to soak for 12 hours
Step 2: Prepare the Azurescens spawn
First wash your hands.
- Take the container with the spawn (Azurescens mycelium) and open the lid
- Use a clean ziplock bag or bowl and add the spawn to it. Alternatively you can leave the spawn in the container and break it in there.
- Gently break the mycelium in little chunks/pieces, or squeeze the bag to break up the mycelium.
Now you can inoculate the wood chips with the Azurescens spawn pieces.
Step 3: Inoculate the woodchips
- Get you tub of sterilized wood chips
- Aadd the spawn to the wood chips
- Mix the spawn with the wood chips, using your hands or a fork.
Make sure to distribute the mycelium chunks evenly over the woodchips. The mycelium will start growing again and will cover the woodchips (colonize) much faster if there is mycelium chunks all around the substrate.
Step 4 Colonization of the woodchips
- Cover the woodchips with a piece of wet cardboard, and put the lid on top. DO not close the lid, just leave it on top. The substrate should be covered , but the mycelium must be able to breath and grow. No air no growth.
- Keep the container in a clean, dust and draft free area in your house.
- Leave the container colonize for 4-5 weeks ubtil it is fully colonized by the Azurens mycelium.
- When all the woodchips are white of the mycelium you are ready for the next step.
Step 5: Prepare the extra woodchips
- Get the rest of the wood chips and pour in a large container
- Boil enough water to submerge the woodchips
- Submerge the woodchips in water. Alternatively you can boil the woodchips with the water in a pot (large pan) on the stove, let it simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the woodchips soak in the water and cool overnight (12 hours)
- Drain all the water from the woodchips. The wood chips should be moist not wet
Step 6: Make the mycelium bed in a box (and an alternative)
You will need the cardboard box, the colonized woodchips and the moist woodchips form step 6. (previous step) Make sure the cardboard box is closed at the bottom, some extra tape can help.
- Wash your hands.
- Add both batches of woodchips to the cardboard box an mix them gently, but very well, together.
The colonized woodchips should be mixed evenly over the moist woodchips. Now you are ready to plant your Azurescens mycelium outside!
Step 7: Bury the Azurescens mycelium outside
Shovel, cardboard box with mycelium, soil or extra woodchips, leaves, and branches are all required. Choose a spot of ground that is shaded and out of direct sunshine. And that can be left alone for a long time. This is where you will construct your Azurescens mycelium bed.
- Dig a hole that fits the box
- Make sure the box stays open and bury the cardboard box
- Add 1 cm of moist top soil on your Azurescens mycelium bed
- You can add some grass seeds to the soil to make it a nice garden patch. Alternatively cover it with more woodchips , leaves, moss or branches
Now you wait, while the mycelium is spreading underground forming its network even further. You both wait until autumn/ fall for the ideal temperatures to fruit and harvest.
Taking care of your Azurescens outdoor patch
An Azurescens that is made properly will last you year after year. But it will need some taking care of.
The key to an eternal Azurescens mushroom patch is moisture. It’s critical to keep your Azurescens patch moist during hot summer days or lengthy periods without rain. Examine and feel the soil; stick your finger 3-4 cm below the surface to determine if it’s still damp. Is it not moist? Fill your Azurescens patch with water!
Mycelium feeds on woodchips and other organic matter in the soil. It should contain enough nutrition to endure for several years. If you have poor soil, clay, or sand with little organic material, it is a good idea to replenish the soil with more woodchips, leaves, and branches after two years of growth. In the spring, replenish the woodchips. This allows the Azurescens mycelium to colonize and produce mushrooms in the autumn / fall.
Do not use fertilizers or pest repellents.
Keep your Azurescens patch safe from frost and snow. Add another layer of woodchips or cover the mycelium bed with branches. This shields the mycelium from frost and provides additional nutrients.
Important warning: Overtime the Azurescens can be contaminated by other mushroom species. Only harvest the Azurescens mushrooms and remove all others. Are you not sure about the identity of the mushroom, do not use it!
Azurescens mushrooms can be found in your garden from September to December (first frost). The mushrooms appear when the temperature falls below 10 degrees Celsius and the weather is sufficiently moist. Depending on the weather, it is possible to harvest 1-3 flushes. It’s now time to gather and collect some Azurescens mushrooms.
When do you harvest the Azurescens Mushrooms?
Azurescens mushrooms, like cubensis mushrooms, are harvested when they reach maturity. This is when the mushroom’s veil breaks. However, the conditions for outdoor cultivation are less than optimal, and you never know when it will occur.
So, when the Azurescens mushrooms ‘appear mature,’ harvest them. Each Azurescens mushroom with an open cap is ready for harvest. Is the cap partially or completely open? Choose them!
How do you harvest the Azurescens mushrooms?
The Azurescens mushroom is simple to gather. Pick them one at a time or a full cluster at once. Grap the mushroom as near to the ground as possible. Twist gently to free the mushroom from the mycelium. Check your patch for new mushrooms on a daily basis.
More information about mushroom dos and don’ts can be found on the responsible use page. This kit is solely intended for small-scale home use. Use for human consumption only. Use solely for spore reproduction and research.
The Psilocybe Azurescens are 5-6 times stronger when compared to the psilocybe cubensis.
|Grow Kit type||Variable|
|Optimum cultivation temperature||No|
|Water Spray Needed||No|